Monday, May 31, 2010

Is your day running out and you are behind?

Day running out and you still have a lot to do. There just does not seem like there is enough time in the day to do everything that needs to be done. How often does it seem like your day just runs out and you have not accomplished anything? I begin some days with great intentions to work, exercise, write, get some chores done or start a new project. Something interrupts my momentum and it can be all down hill from there. A friend calls unexpectedly. I run out of something and have to go to the store to find a replacement. The car breaks down. The weather is good, bad or terrible. There are a million things that can turn the best plans into rubbish. I started off on the right foot, but the left foot never hit the ground.

Some days my momentum never gets off the ground. I don’t even seem to start off on the right foot. I have all of these good intentions but I just do not have the energy. Perhaps life seems overwhelming or I feel depressed or I ate too much the day before. I want to crawl into a hole and hide. I feel like a failure and the day has not even started. I need to get kick started. I need a coach or something to get me motivated. As my day begins to run out, I may try to put on a last minute burst of work to get some things done, or I might just say the heck with it. I will do it tomorrow.

Maybe, how we feel at the beginning of the day is life sending us a message. “Take it easy today; you have been stressing yourself out too much.” “Get in gear, you are full of energy and today is a great day to get things done.” We need to allow life to talk to us and to follow our more natural rhythms of ups and downs. Not every day is a barn burner or “I just climbed Mt. Everest day.” Allow a cycle of work, play and rest to become part of your life. Maybe we would all live longer and enjoy life more if we had more “down” days.

Does your life seem to follow natural cycles of play, rest and work? How do you think your life would be if it did? What would you have to change to create a more natural cycle time in your life? When was the last time you had a day just running out and you really did not care?

4 comments:

  1. Interesting as always, John. I loved what you said about starting on the right foot, but the left never hit the ground. May I quote you on that? Alot like me most of the time. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure Kim, quotes are free from my site :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always thought the same way, John. It seems like life puts us on a schedule whether we like it or not. It can be difficult to work or play when rest is calling, just as it can be difficult to break into play when work is coming so easily. As far as a day running out and myself not caring, that only happens when the next day has enough "room" to fit in the leftovers. However, as a true procrastinator, this happens a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your thoughts Andrew. I agree, it is hard to get off the treadmill. Managing time is a lot like managing a diet. It takes discipline and somedays we have it and other days we do not. Other days we binge and fall off the bandwagon. Success comes when we get back up and just keep trying.

    ReplyDelete