Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Are you guilty of killing time?

I am just killing time! How many times have you used this expression? If time is really precious, then should anyone be allowed to kill time? Some might say that it was criminal to kill time. What if people killing time could be charged with a crime?

Imagine a world in 2099, when time is so important and in such short supply that the government passes a law which states: “Anyone killing time, idling time or otherwise wasting time, will be charged with a capital offense, and subject to punishment and imprisonment commensurate with the amount of time killed.” Time Police would be appointed to enforce the new law and a Department of Homeland Time Conservation would be established to find ways to “save” time that might otherwise be killed or wasted. No longer would we be able to kill time. Who among us today would be innocent of such a crime?

How many of us are already guilty of “killing” time every day? When the most common phrase heard is “no time”, how could any of us waste such a valuable resource? What if there was an adoption center for “unwanted time”; would you put your time up for adoption rather than waste it? Or perhaps we need a “Goodwill Center for Time” where you could donate extra time for those who really needed it. How much time could you donate each month? How about some of that time you waste watching TV or playing Video Games?

Patriotism calls us forward! Don’t wait for the government to pass a law forbidding the killing of time. Act now and forever stop wasting and killing time. Act before it is too late. However, if you really want to kill time anyway, I am going to suggest several ideas in my next reading that might help you to do a good job of it. 

2 comments:

  1. Time Police. Nice one. If this law were passed there would be a lot of job openings for the Time Police.

    I think it would be hard to punish someone for wasting time because when Im digging a hole in my yard for lanscaping purposes it is a waste of time to me. However, this would not be a waste of time to those who enjoy lanscaping. And if you (John) were forced to play videogames you (John) would be wasting time. On the other hand, if I were to be playing videogames I would not be wasting time.

    Cool concept john.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joseph, I appreciate your feedback. Hope you enjoy my list of time wasters today as well. Actually, I like playing video games but I guess I do feel guilty like I should be doing something productive.

    ReplyDelete