Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What will become of you?

Chronos in Greek mythology was the god of Time or the god of the ages. When something is arranged “chronologically”, it means it is ordered in time, usually from oldest to most recent. I once heard someone say, it is a shame we are not born backwards. If we were, as we grew older and wiser, physically we would grow younger and healthier. This is an interesting idea but not likely to happen soon. We read about a mythical fountain of youth or some magic that will unlock the aging process and we will never grow old. Actually, there are serious researchers looking to find a cure for aging who believe that ageing could be cured as we cure any other disease. Imagine taking a pill or a shot to cure “old” age.

I am not going to hold my breath for any of these aging fixes. Of course, I may just have my body frozen cryogenically so that I can be revived at some time in the future when our health systems have cured whatever disease I die from, including old age . Or I may just be cremated and have my ashes scattered to the four winds so I can become part of the universe again.

What will become of you when you die? Will you be buried, frozen, cremated or stuffed? My wife refuses to have me stuffed, which I thought was a good way to keep me around and in memory. How do you want your memory retained by others? Does it matter to you?

2 comments:

  1. I always thought it was strange that people freeze themselves in hopes to come back. If they do find a way to keep people from dying then the world will become vastly overpopulated don't you think? Everyone likes to think that they are important to the world but in reality almost all of us will at sometime be forgotten. Cremate me and let me go on to the next world...and I hope it is a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am not sure I would want to come back to a world with say X number of people. I don't know what will happen after I die Rob; Can't say I am in a hurry to find out, but I will hope I can be curious when the day arrives. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete