Monday, September 5, 2011

To Labor or Not to Labor? What is the meaning of Labor Day?

September is the ninth month of the year in the Gregorian calendar and one of four Gregorian months with 30 days. September is my favorite month of the year. For me, September is the beginning of fall. Autumn is well underway by the beginning of September and by the middle of September the leaves will soon start changing. Technically fall does not begin until September 21st, but we all know that the real end of summer is on Labor Day.

In many parts of the world, summer ends when students head back to school (They are already back in Wisconsin and in Minnesota will head back tomorrow). The fall weather and temperatures are perfect (for me anyway) and I love the changing colors of the landscapes. I love the cool crisp air and the beauty of the trees, shrubs and falling leaves. I love the many fall flowers and the bright red Sumac bushes. The flowers and red bushes are soon complimented by the Oaks, Maples and Popular trees which will contribute bright yellows, oranges and reds to the panoply of colors. The leaves have an almost ethereal quality as they float to the ground and cover it in a rich collage of hues and tones. However, when the leaves start gently falling, the end of fall comes too soon for me.

I should mention that I was born in September and of course my birthday will bring some treats. However, I would still love the fall with or without my birthday. Many people do not feel the same why that I do about the fall, particularly in Minnesota. Karen does not enjoy September nearly as much as I do. She did not like getting up this morning when it was 47 degrees and she regrets the acorns that are already starting to scatter on the ground. She says she can only think that when fall comes, winter will soon be here.

In some parts of the world, fall lasts somewhat longer than in Wisconsin. Weather-wise, we have a two month fall that covers September and October. Never mind that the calendar says fall ends on December 20, it really ends right after Halloween. By then the colors are over and most of the leaves need to be raked up. Not to mention, we generally have snow long before the “end” of fall. Well, in four weeks, we will be headed to Arizona so I will miss the winter but hopefully catch most of the fall up here.

What is your favorite month of the year? Why? What is your favorite season of the year? Do you enjoy each season or do you have a special season you look forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment