Thursday, May 10, 2012

A time of constant sorrow


Have you ever been told “It is a time of sorrow?” There are many times of sorrow for each of us in our lives. As much as we may try to escape these sorrowful times, they are inescapable. From birth to death, our lives are punctuated by times of sorrow. Fortunately, our sorrows are interspersed with happiness.  Each of handle sorrow in different ways, but we all share the pain, grief and suffering that goes with it.

Most sorrow comes from loss, loss of people we love or care about. While we might have sorrow over things, it is never as deep or painful as sorrow over people or even pets that we loved.  The loss of a loved one seems to leave a hole that never quite fills. We continue to think about them long after they have gone. Little things bring back the memories and times we shared. Sometimes, we think happily but wistfully about what might have been or what we should have done or said. 

Sometimes the sorrow is deep and sometimes not so deep, but always it will be lingering. Remember the song, “I am a man of constant sorrow.”  I think that song resonated with many of us because life sometimes seems overwhelmed by sorrows.  As we grow older, we face more and more of these sorrows.  We know that it is inevitable that our friends, pets, relatives and loved ones will pass away.  We know that we too shall pass. However, it isn’t our coming death that is most sorrowful for us.  In fact, of all the people whom we know will die in our lives; our own death will probably be the easiest. Our spouses, children or parents will most likely be the hardest.  

I joke with Karen that I want to go first, but we both know it is no joke.  I am being selfish.  I don’t want to deal with the sorrow. The number of spouses that die very shortly after their loved ones seems beyond mere coincidence.  It is hard to continue life without someone who loves you or someone whom you have spent most of your life with.  It may be easier to fact death than to face sorrow. How do you deal with sorrow? What sorrows linger in your life? Do you honor or ignore your feelings of pain and grief?  Do you accept the sorrow that some days bring or do you try to ignore and shut it out?  

2 comments:

  1. I deal with sorrow by embracing it, or at least that's what I tell myself. Just looking back at my short life span of 26 years, I don't think any sorrow lingers. I believe things happen for a reason and because of that philosophy, I allow myself that "time of sorrow." Reflecting back at my times of sorrows, they were horrible at the time, but that is why I'm so happy now. I understand that the one guarantee in life is death and the reason why you love and cherish the ones closest to you or anything great for that matter is because that time is limited. Great things aren't meant to last and that's why they're great! That is why I guess I honor pain and grief rather than ignoring it. When you feel like crying, you just have to let it go and let the tears rain down your cheeks. In my opinion, it's good for you. I accept sorrow, but it takes a lot to bring me to that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points. I think your comments are very helpful. More acceptance and less resistance to life and whatever it brings. Tolle say that is one of the three keys to a full existence.

    ReplyDelete