Friday, May 4, 2012

Time running out?


Is the day running out and you still have a lot to do?  There does not seem like there is enough time in the day to do everything that needs to be done.  How often do you feel that your day has run out and you have not accomplished anything?  The thought of time running out is intriguing for it suggests that time is like a lake with no inlet but only an outlet.  The water runs out like the time in our day until there is none left.  But how can this be true?  What is time anyway? It is certainly not like water. 

I begin some days with great intentions to work, exercise, write, get some chores done or start a new project. Something interrupts my momentum and it can be all down hill from there.  A friend calls unexpectedly.  I run out of something and have to go to the store to find a replacement. The car breaks down. The weather is good, bad or terrible. There are a million things that can turn my best plans into rubbish.  I started off on the right foot, but the left foot never hit the ground.  Slowly the ticking clock gets closer and closer to bedtime.  Time to quit.  Time to leave.  Time to go someplace else. The plane is waiting. The taxi is waiting.  My friend is waiting. 

Some days my momentum never starts.  I don’t even start off on the right foot.  I have all of these good intentions but I just do not have the energy. Perhaps life seems overwhelming or I feel depressed or I ate too much the day before.  I want to crawl into a hole and hide.  I feel like a failure and the day has not even begun.  I need to get kick started.  I need a coach or something to get me motivated.  As my day begins to run out, I may try to put on a last minute burst of work to get some things done, or I might just say the heck with it.  I will do it tomorrow.  Time runs out and I have not even left the starting gate.  I was picked to win the Kentucky Derby and I can't even run around the block today.  The other horse have left the gate and I want to go back to bed.  

Maybe, how we feel at the beginning of the day is life sending us a message. “Take it easy today; you have been stressing yourself out too much.”  Or, “Get in gear, you are full of energy and today is a great day to get things done.”  We need to allow life to talk to us and to follow our natural rhythms of ups and downs.  Not every day is a barn burner or “I just climbed Mt. Everest day.”  Life is a series of energy cycles. Allow a cycle of work, play and rest to become part of your life.  Maybe we would all live longer and enjoy life more if we had more “down” days.  Maybe it is time to forget about the clock ticking, the friend waiting, time to leave, and time to quit.  Do what you feel like today.  Go with the flow as we said in the sixties.  Too much time running out makes life miserable. Take control and turn time off. 

Does your life seem to follow natural cycles of play, rest and work?  How do you think your life would be if it did?  What would you have to change to create a more natural cycle time in your life?  When was the last time you had a day just running out and you really did not care? 

2 comments:

  1. My life does seem like it follows the natural cycle. I've never really thought about it before in terms of play, rest, and work. Now it all makes sense! I think my life wouldn't be as beautiful if it didn't follow that cycle, because you one of my life theories is that you need some bad to know some good. Hard to be truly happy without ever being sad, or at least being able to appreciate your happiness. I don't think you can change much to create a "more natural cycle time" in your life, because by nature, it's natural! If you changed it, it wouldn't be natural, it'd be fake. The last time I didn't care about the day running out was yesterday and it will be the same today. At this time in my life, I'm taking a page from the 60s and just going with the flow, just like you said in one of your previous blogs.

    People might think I'm on drugs or something, but I'm just high on life. Able to appreciate the time, appreciate the day, love the moment... I just love life and reading your blogs reminds me that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your comments Tony. You inspired some of my ideas for this Mornings blog on cycles. Wonderful to be high on life. It is the right way to live. I congratulate you on your life and the way you are living it.

    ReplyDelete